Board of Directors & Contacts
Learn to Fly
History of Soaring in Utah Club Orientation
Cedar Valley Airport
Heber City Airport
Morgan County Airport
Safety Flight Training
Club Ships Maps
SN10 Use Information
LX S80 Use Information
Passenger Liability Release
Flight Operating Rules
Forecast: Discussion Zone
7 Day: U42 36U LGU CF
Thermal: Index Velocity
Radar Satellite Water Wind
U42 36U LGU CV
Observation: Mesonet OLC SSA
Ads on Wings and Wheels
Flight TrainingIn order to provide the best possible training we have standardized:
- the training program
- the material used for training and instructing
- flight training and progress records
- a "Cross Check", where a student is requirement to fly at least twice with another instructor during the training period
- a liability release form which includes the instructor as well as Utah Soaring Association
Glider Training Manuals: Initial Students
We have adopted the Holtz Flight Training material as the standard for training new members who do not currently have a pilot certficate. The Holtz flight training material includes:
- Glider Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. It contains all of the information that a student must learn to meet the FAA requirements and to pass the FAA written test.
Flight Training Manual for Gliders.
Each chapter addresses a separate stage of flight, such as takeoff, landing.
Glider Training Manuals: Transition Students
For training new members who currently are certificated airplane pilots, the primary material will be:
Transition to Gliders, by Tom Knauff
It contains the pertinent information a previously trained power pilot will need to learn to fly gliders.
FAA Glider Flying Handbook
Another valuable source of information about flying gliders is the handbook distributed by the FAA.
FAA Glider Flying Handbook
This handbook is one of the several source reference materials for the FAA written and practical (flight and oral) test.
Flight Training and Progress Records
To keep track of training progress we use an Aeronautical Knowledge and Flight Training record. Notes, comments and cross checks are documented as well. The primary aeronautical knowledge and flight training record can be found in the list below, along with some other useful training records:
- Aeronautical Knowledge and Flight Training Record
- Flight Training Record Card: Summary Record
- Practical Test Preparation Progress Record
- Practical Test Preparation Progress Record (w/ground launch)
Prior to attending a ground launch training session, familiarize yourself with the following documents:
- USA Winch Training Guidelines
- USA Winch Training Syllabus
- USA Winch Final Pretakeoff Checklist
- USA Winch Pre-Departure Ground Operations
Every student must sign the Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement form.